Welcome to Holford Parish Council, Somerset, England
Towards the end of the nineteenth century civil administration in England was in need of extensive reform and the Local Government Act of 1894 was introduced to enable this. It created institutions which were structurally suited to bringing democracy into every community in the country, and it excluded the church from formal participation in local government.
Holford Parish, much increased in area as a result of boundary changes made during the 1880’s to over 1,000 acres and with a population numbering 169 in 1891, opted for Parish Meeting status in 1895. Mr. C.H.Greswell was elected Chairman and continued in that position for ten years. In 1933 the civil parish of Dodington was amalgamated with that of Holford to form an enlarged civil parish of Holford, and Parish Council status was requested and granted in 1970. Mr. J.F.Pallin (then of ‘Hare Knap’ which comprised the southern part of what is now ‘Lady Charles’ House) became its first Chairman.
© 2017 Philip Brimson. All rights reserved.